Saturday, July 27, 2013

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, by David Sedaris


Once again, the book graveyard in the laundry room of my building paid off.  This time, I picked up Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris.  I’ve already reviewed a work by Sedaris (Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls), and as Sedaris is an essayist, there’s really no point in going into a great amount of detail about this work, as it’s similar to Owls.

I will, however, give you a little taste of why I love this guy’s work so much:

On the topic of his apartment, Sedaris tells us that his landlord won’t sell it to him because he wants to keep it to give to his granddaughters as an inheritance some day.  Sedaris loves his apartment, and has this to say about the situation:

… I kept hoping for a miracle.  A riding accident, a playhouse fire: lots of things can happen to little girls.

Later on in the essay, while the apartment hunt continues, Sedaris suggests that maybe Anne Frank’s family was turned in so that an enterprising neighbour could take over their apartment which, with a little bit of remodeling work, would be great.

A little macabre?  Yes.  But my sense of humour?  Totally.

So, final verdict?  Read this book, and all the others that Sedaris puts out there.  It’s comic gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment