Friday, August 5, 2011

RIP Ariana Franklin

So, this was a morning where I was going to catch up and find out about the status of a bunch of book series that I enjoy and was looking forward to reading more of.  The following news took the wind out of my sails.  From (http://dearauthor.com/):

Ariana Franklin aka Diana Norman passed away on January 27, 2011.  Franklin’s historical mystery series ended with a cliffhanger and thus the outcome of the series is unknown.   Franklin was 77 and had been ill and in the hospital. 

The Mistress of the Art of Death series has long been a favorite of mine.  I really identified with the main character, Adelia, and I was enamored with Rowley in a big bad way.  I wanted nothing more than to see them end up together.  At the end of A Murderous Procession, the reader is led to believe that there might be hope for the parted lovers, and Rowley is seriously injured.  Now the question will forever remain: would Rowley have lived, and would they have ended up together?

I was telling a friend about my love of these books and how much I looked forward to the 5th in the series, especially given the cliffhanger ending.  My friend's response was "I hate when author's do that!  I mean, what if she dies!?"  While I appreciate the irony, I would have appreciated the next book more.

RIP, Ms. Franklin.  You, and your tales, will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment